A Poetry Daily Prose Feature:
"One day in the last few weeks of his life, when he was having frequent coughing spasms, my father and I explicated Shakespeare's Sonnet 71. We had originally set out to read King Lear, his favorite play in the Shakespeare canon (he had read nearly all of them), but now the aggressive radiation seemed to be working only marginally, its effect outstripped by the destructive power of the spreading lung cancer, and a complete play seemed too demanding. He could, however, take poetic language fourteen lines at a time."
—Erik Gleibermann, Smoothing the Serpent's Tooth
Poetry Daily Version 2.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available!
Read the daily poem, save favorites, check news links, and more, even when you're on the go. Visit the iTunes Store to download the app, and let us know what you think!
Now you can follow PD on Twitter!
We'll keep you posted on key features and news as they appear on PD.
Recently Arrived Titles
These just in... Highlighted titles may be purchased from Poetry Daily / Amazon.com. A complete list of all books and journals recently received at Poetry Daily is also available.
- Dog Star Notations: Selected Poems 1999-2016, Håkan Sandell, tr. Bill Coyle (Carcanet Press)
- Infinite Altars, James Brasfield (Louisiana State University Press)
- KYSO Flash 2015: Anthology #2, Clare MacQueen, editor (KYSO Flash Press)
- New Shoes: Haibun Stories, Dan Gilmore (KYSO Flash Press)
- Twenty Girls to Envy Me, Orit Gidali, tr. Marcela Sulak (The University of Texas Press)
- A Different Wakeful Animal, Susan Cohen (Red Dragonfly Press)
- Two Men Rowing Madly Toward Infinity, William Reichard (Broadstone Books)
- After the Storm, Thomas Zemsky (Broadstone Books)
- ruina montium, Jeremy Paden (Broadstone Books)
- Wine Dark, Jenny Drai (Black Lawrence Press)
- The Magic Kingdom, Russel Swensen (Black Lawrence Press)
- Blue Hallelujahs, Cynthia Manick (Black Lawrence Press)
- Salvage, Kristy Bowen (Black Lawrence Press)
- Four American Poets, Anthony Costello, ed. (The High Window)
- The World As Is: New and Selected Poems, Joseph Hutchison (NYQ Books)
- What Blooms in Winter, Maria Mazziotti Gillan (NYQ Books)
- A Love Supreme, Professor Arturo (NYQ Books)
Original articles, interviews, selections from special collections and journal issues, and more are available in the Archives.