A Poetry Daily Prose Feature:
"Keeper, custodian, a traditionalist whose work is stringent, formalist, always elegant: critical judgments on Michael Longley's work fence him round too closely, running the risk of misleading, even discouraging, new readers."—Martyn Crucefix, Nunc Dimittis...
Poetry Daily Version 2.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available!
Read the daily poem, save favorites, check news links, and more, even when you're on the go. Visit the iTunes Store to download the app, and let us know what you think!
Now you can follow PD on Twitter!
We'll keep you posted on key features and news as they appear on PD.
"The vast canvas of Russian poetry is not without its dramatic moments..."
The Penguin Book of Russian Poetry, edited by Robert Chandler, Boris Drayluk, and Irina Mashinski, reviewed by Paddy Kehoe. (RTÉ 10)
The Guardian poem of the week:
Carole Rumens introduces Gwyneth Lewis's "Birder."
“It gets difficult to tell... which is really the melody and which is really the harmony sometimes."
As Claudia Emerson's The Opposite House is published, following her death in December, Glenn Dixon talks with the poet's husband, Kent Ippolito. (The Washington Post)
Kingsley Tufts Poetry Award:
Angie Estes honored with $100,000 prize for Enchantée; Brandon Som honored with $10,000 Kate Tufts Discovery Award for The Tribute Horse; both given by Claremont Graduate University. (The New York Times)
Recently Arrived Titles
These just in... Highlighted titles may be purchased from Poetry Daily / Amazon.com. A complete list of all books and journals recently received at Poetry Daily is also available.
- Immortality, Alan Feldman (University of Wisconsin Press)
- Blood Work, Matthew Siegel (University of Wisconsin Press)
- Mahabharata: A Modern Retelling, Carole Satyamurti (W. W. Norton & Company)
- Do Not Rise, Beth Bachmann (University of Pittsburgh Press)
- More Money than God, Richard Michelson (University of Pittsburgh Press)
- Blue Yodel, Ansel Elkins (Yale University Press)
- The Opposite House, Claudia Emerson (Louisiana State University Press)
- Mendeleev's Mandala, Jessica Goodfellow (Mayapple Press)
- November Butterfly, Tania Pryputniewicz (Saddle Road Press)
- Swimming For The Ark: New & Selected Poems 1990-2015, Joan Murray (White Pine Press)
- Flowering Fires / Fuegos Florales, Alicia Partnoy, tr. Gail Wronsky (Settlement House)
- The Arranged Marriage, Jehanne Dubrow (University of New Mexico Press)
- A Taxonomy of the Space Between Us, Caleb Curtiss (Black Lawrence Press)
- Little Nest, Diana Lueptow (Kent State University Press)
- Local Fauna, Brian Brodeur (Kent State University Press)
- The Refusal of Suitors, Ryo Yamaguchi (Noemi Press)
- Oracle, Cate Marvin (W. W. Norton & Company)
- The Octopus Game, Nicky Beer (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- The Voices, Michael Dennis Browne (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- Domestic Garden, John Hoppenthaler (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- We Mammals in Hospitable Times, Jynne Dilling Martin (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- cadabra, Dan Rosenberg (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- Bartram's Garden, Eleanor Stanford (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- The Hiss of the Viper, Carmelia Leonte, tr. Mihaela Moscaliuc (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- 12 Women: An Anthology of Poems, Gerald Costanzo, Martha Paterson, Sophie Wirt, ed.s (Carnegie Mellon University Press)
- Donald Morrill, Awaiting Your Impossibilities (Anhinga Press)
Original articles, interviews, selections from special collections and journal issues, and more are available in the Archives.