A Poetry Daily Prose Feature:
"We still haven't taken the measure of Stephen Berg's poetry. His achievement is hard to pin down, and criticism, which runs on fashion, hasn't caught up with him. He had an idiosyncratic voice—forthright, nervous, intimate, self-questioning. I would call him a confessional poet except he kept emptying out and interrogating the self that is the basis of that mode, which he felt was misunderstood."
—Edward Hirsch , "Being Here, Like This": The Poetry of Stephen Berg
Poetry Daily Version 2.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available!
Read the daily poem, save favorites, check news links, and more, even when you're on the go. Visit the iTunes Store to download the app, and let us know what you think!
Now you can follow PD on Twitter!
We'll keep you posted on key features and news as they appear on PD.
"Larkin, defying all our expectations of the old chauvinist misery-guts..."
"You can try to divine what a poet thinks through his writing, but subjectivity confuses things," says Tim Stanley. (The Telegraph)
Recently Arrived Titles
These just in... Highlighted titles may be purchased from Poetry Daily / Amazon.com. A complete list of all books and journals recently received at Poetry Daily is also available.
- Spans: New and Selected Poems, Elizabeth Seydel Morgan (Louisiana State University Press)
- The View from Saturn, Alice Friman (Louisiana State University Press)
- The Sky Is Shooting Blue Arrows, Glenna Luschei (University of New Mexico Press)
- A Selected History of Her Heart, Carole Simmons Oles (University of New Mexico Press)
- Trickster, Randall Potts (University of Iowa Press)
- Soy Realidad, Tomaž Šalamun, tr. by Michael Thomas Taren & Tomaž Šalamun (Dalkey Archive Press)
- Some Complicity: Poems and Translations, Harry Thomas (Un-Gyve Press)
- The Selected Poetry of Pier Paolo Pasolini, edited and translated by Stephen Sartarelli (The University of Chicago Press)
- David Wevill, Collected Translations (Tavern Books)
- Congotronic, Shane Book (University of Iowa Press)
- The Wilderness, Sandra Lim (W. W. Norton & Company)
- Dark-Sky Society, Ailish Hopper (New Issues Poetry & Prose)
- In the Museum of Coming and Going, Laura Stott (New Issues Poetry & Prose)
- Tree Line, Judy Halebsky (New Issues Poetry & Prose)
- La Brizna, Nancy P. Davenport (Bookgirl Press/Mountains and Rivers Press)
- The Wingback Chair, Joan Colby (FutureCycle Press)
- Selected Poems, David Chorlton (FutureCycle Press)
- Woman With A Gambling Mania, Catherine Anderson (Mayapple Press)
- Tales of the Tetragrammaton, Paul Nemser (Mayapple Press)
Original articles, interviews, selections from special collections and journal issues, and more are available in the Archives.