A Poetry Daily Prose Feature:
"Logan doesn't go so far as to suggest, as Eliot did (and then later repented), that 'the poetic critic is criticizing poetry in order to create poetry.' It's more that Logan the poet has taken Logan the critic along for the ride: 'I began to write criticism,' he told one interviewer, 'because I needed the money, but I kept writing because I needed the discipline,' admitting elsewhere to 'the terrible knowledge that I was a better reader when I read for hire, that I read more intently when driven by necessity.' Despite such downplaying, the two projects are clearly related. How could they not be? The poet doesn't black out, only to come to hours later, a review steaming on his desk."—David Yezzi, The Perfect Moods of William Logan
Poetry Daily Version 2.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available!
Read the daily poem, save favorites, check news links, and more, even when you're on the go. Visit the iTunes Store to download the app, and let us know what you think!
Now you can follow PD on Twitter!
We'll keep you posted on key features and news as they appear on PD..."...
Recently Arrived Titles
These just in... Highlighted titles may be purchased from Poetry Daily / Amazon.com. A complete list of all books and journals recently received at Poetry Daily is also available.
- Rhyme's Challenge: Hip Hop, Poetry, and Contemporary Rhyming Culture, David Caplan (Oxford University Press)
- The Sleeve Waves, Angela Sorby (University of Wisconsin Press)
- Otherwise Unseeable, Betsy Sholl (University of Wisconsin Press)
- Second Line Home: New Orleans Poems, Mona Lisa Saloy (Truman State University Press)
- Relics of Lust: New and Selected Poems, Lynne Savitt (NYQ Books)
- How a Mirage Works, Beverly Burch (Sixteen Rivers Press)
- Master of Leaves, Murray Silverstein (Sixteen Rivers Press)
- What Glorious Possibilities, Jim Zola (Aldrich Press)
- To the Bramble and the Briar, Steve Scafidi (University of Arkansas Press)
- Ghost Gear, Andrew McFadyen-Ketchum (University of Arkansas Press)
- Day of the Border Guards, Katherine E. Young (University of Arkansas Press)
- David Jones in the Great War, Thomas Dilworth (Enitharmon Press)
- Balefire, Shann Ray (Lost Horse Press)
- Afternoon Masala, Vandana Khanna (University of Arkansas Press)
- Another Reason, Carl Dennis (Penguin Books)
- The Essential Hits of Shorty Bon Bon, Willie Perdomo (Penguin Books)
- Complicity, Adam Sol (McClelland & Stewart)
- Elise Cowen: Poems and Fragments, Elise Cowen, ed. Tony Triglio (Ahsahta Press)
- Mexican Jenny, Barbara Brinson Curiel (Anhinga Press)
- Somewhere Near Defiance, Jeff Gundy (Anhinga Press)
- Seam, Tarfia Faizullah (Southern Illinois University Press)
- One Hundred White Pelicans, Robin Chapman (Tebot Bach)
- The Unleashable Dog, Charles Rafferty (Steel Toe Books)
- Phrasebook for the Pleiades, Lorraine Doran (Cider Press Review)
- Rough Beast, Tim Peeler (FutureCycle Press)
- Bed of Coals, Joseph Hutchison (FutureCycle Press)
- Redemption, Lee Passarella (FutureCycle Press)
Original articles, interviews, selections from special collections and journal issues, and more are available in the Archives.